Thursday, March 20, 2008

Semester 2 - Post 6

I read a recent post titled "Have a Laugh from the Little Rascals - "Bored of Education'" written by Victoria A. Davis. In this post Victoria talks about how in schools today they are being faced with a lack of attention whether it is rebellion, boredom, absences, or whatever the case may be, students are not finding interest in the things they are learning. She brings up the point that when things change in society, it takes a while for schools to play catch up.

I found this post interesting because, as a student myself, I deal with these issues daily. I find it so hard to try to apply what I learn to my real life. I always ask the usual question, "When will I ever use this?!" School just seems so boring sometimes, but there are a few teachers and a few subjects that I actually find interesting. Not only is it hard to find interest in my schoolwork, but it's also hard when you miss a class because of a trip, illness, or whatever. It seems that it is nearly impossible to catch up after missing school.

How can these things be changed? How can schools help their students find interest in what they are learning? Well, I can not give an answer to this seeing as my solution would be to simply allow more off time and teach students what they want to learn, not what they need to learn :). This may be something to think about in the future. What can the average person do to help schools teach students intersting, and necessary facts? It's up to you to decide.

No comments: