Thursday, November 15, 2007

PLN: Week 10- Post 20

I read an article written by Matt Slater, this article was titled "The Fight against Drugs in Sports" and in this article one of the worlds leading experts on drugs in sports told BBC that he thinks that athletes will be able to cheat without being detected in the 2008 Beijing Olympics. He says that the test for Human Growth Hormone (HGH) is useless and will only catch a stupid athlete.

This relates to me as an athlete because the issue of steroids is very much real. I have never dealed with steroids because none of my teammates would ever even think of using steroids and in soccer there really isn't a need, but in sports that make sure you are physically built this is much more of an issue. In sports like wrestling and football it seems like there is a much higher rate of steroid use than in sports like soccer. Though I have never personally dealed with this I still have heard of the affects because I am an athlete and its all over the news.

Also this article relates to the world because the Olympics are a HUGE event in the world and they take place all over the world. As the Olympics take place many people of the world gather to watch these events and to have competers taking steroids to improve there performance is horrible They are setting horrible examples for the younger children who look up to them and I think they don't realize how there use of steriods affects people other then themselves.

1 comment:

berekm said...

Sam,I think that drugs in sports is bad an i hope athletes get caught becuase its cheating. Good job speaking clearly and looking up.