Tuesday, November 13, 2007

PLN: Week 10- Post 19

I read a recent article titled "Sundhage Named U.S. Women's Soccer Coach" written by "Associated Press" and in this article it talks about the Swedish Pia Sundhage being named the U.S. Women's National Team coach replacing Greg Ryan. Americans turned to a foreign coach for the first time after failing to win this years World Cup. Sundhage was the assistant coach for China during the World Cup and she is very familiar with many of the U.S. players. It just so happens that she had coached in the WUSA during its 3 year existence. Sundhage plans to hold a minicamp December and her first games will during the Four Nations tournament in China in January.

This article absolutely relates to me seeing as I am a competitive soccer player and I keep up-to-date with the latest happenings with our new National Team. I find great interest in this team and they are a great team to keep up with. I think what matters from this article is that the switch from Greg Ryan to Sundhage was a good decision made by the organization because of the interesting and surprising decisions made by Ryan during the World cup when he decided to switch goalies before the World Cup semifinals which was followed by a lopsided loss for the U.S. and therefore his contract wasn't renewed.

Also I feel that this article relates to the world because as a nation I think it is important to keep up with what is going on with our teams and especially our national team. This team is such an inspiration to so many young athletes, girls and boys. I just hope that people see the importance of this issue and they take notice as to how it affects many sports watchers in our country.

No comments: