Thursday, September 20, 2007

PLN: Week 2- Post 4

I read a recent post titled "Online Safety - Videos that get 'em" written by Jeff Utecht. This post is regarding Internet safety in and out of the classroom.

In this article things of importance that I picked out were things such as the fact that in classes we need to talk about Internet safety and it is important that teachers take responsibility for the online safety of their students. Utecht says,

"Having a classroom discussion about how to be safe on the Internet is a good thing and if you can engage students in the conversation without sounding like a mother breathing down their neck, I think you’ll get more bang for your buck."

This quote really jumped out at me because I know from experience that when
these kinds of discussion take place in our classes its boring and not many people listen so I agree with him when he says that these discussion need to engage the students.

This relates to me as a student because I feel it necessary to have these discussions and it is important that we these discussions seem interesting to us. I have been present for many discussions, such as the one he is talking about in this post, at my old school.

This relates to many people in the world today, many of them being students. It is important that our world is up to date on the web today and now that technology is being used so often it is important that people know how to use it safely.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

WE as educators NEED to understand that is OUR job (the collective we) to educate students how to be safe in this new digital world. We teach them about safe sex, about safety in public places, about strangers, about being safe with others...we need to add digital safety to that list. From K to 12 every educator should be teaching these skills...and if we all teach them the message will reach them.