Sunday, April 20, 2008

Semester 2 - Post 12

I read a recent article titled "Columbine Shootings Remembered" written by Kevin Simpson of the Denver Post. In this post Kevin talks about how people are remembering the tragedy of the Columbine Shootings today and everyday with the new Columbine Memorial. He tells a story of two students of Columbine visiting the memorial and getting to see what people went through as a result of the tragedy and getting to read the quotes of the students who were lost in the tragedy.

This post caught my eye because today is the 9th anniversary of the Columbine shootings and it is a day that is and will be remembered forever across the world. This post was very interesting to me because I can still remember the day of the shootings. When I found out about the shootings, I initially did not understand what was going on, that is until my parents informed me of the horrible tragedy. I remember trying to understand why anyone would do this and continually asking "why?" Though this tragedy affected me and my family so severely, it affected many other people even worse than us.

Looking back today on what had happened, we still do not understand why someone would do something like this; however we all are healing. Trying to imagine what parents thought as they found out their child was in danger is incomprehensible. Though this day left such a scar on all of our hearts, people are healing and they are doing this through the help of the new columbine memorial.

No comments: