Sunday, October 7, 2007

PLN: Week 4- Post 8

I read a recent post titled "How do You Feel About What You Know?" written by Dave Warlick in his 2 Cents Worth Blog. This article talks about the relationship Dave has with what he is teaching. He asks the question, can a student have the same kind of relationship with what they are learning, as a musician has with a violin?

In this article I found it interesting how he expressed that when he graduated high school he never would have chosen to pursue history. He found it boring in high school and he didn't see how he would be interested in teaching it. that was what he thought until he reached college. He brings up the idea that teachers always say that they learn more about the subject when they are teaching it than when they learned about it in school so he asks, can the same thing be true for students? Is there a way that teachers can make it so students learn more in the classroom? Can they possibly come of with a strategy that would allow students to feel connected to what they are learning? If so would this require a change in curriculum?

I feel that this article relates to me and all children that are currently under education. When I was reading this article one thing that really jumped out at me and made me feel interested in the article was when he said that he never really was interested or enjoyed history in high school and that is exactly how I feel. History seems like a waste of time to me because everything that we learn about in that class has already happened and there is nothing that we can do to change it so why should we have to learn about it? I was thinking about this and it made me wonder the same thing, is it possible to make students more interested in History or any other class for that matter? If our teachers and the staff at schools could come up with a way to make the students relationships with what hey are learning stronger, then I think we would have a better percentage of students interested and willing to put in more effort to what they are learning.

This article also directly relates to the world around us because anyone who reads this article that is a part of an education board or a school, can perhaps think about what Dave is saying in this article and maybe they cn come up with new ways for schools to make students more interested in what they are learning.

No comments: