Saturday, December 8, 2007

PLN: Week 13- Post 25

I read a recent article titled "Pocket texting and Open Phone Tests", written by Will Richardson and in this article it talks about a 14-year-old South Korean boy who is very technology savvy. He has been making his cell phone play a very important role in his education. He has gotten so good at sending text messages that he doesn't even need to look at his phone to compose an entire text message and hit send. He says this has become especially useful when he needs to send a text message during class.
The first thing Insoo does after Hakwon [his school] is, of course, turn on
the PC. Insoo has a difficult math problem as homework. He posts it up on
Naver Knowledge iN, a popular online Q&A service with some 70 million
entries. Within about 10 minutes of posting, someone chimes in with a good
answer, and Insoo awards him with some “Knowledge Power” points —
knowledge-based economy in action among 14-year-olds.

This article relates to me because I am a student and sometimes i find a problem hard on my homework and it would be nice to have a Q&A resource like this to help me when I get stuck. I find it interesting that Insoo has trained himself to be able to text without even looking at his phone, and it would be nice if I knew how to do that. (Hehe) We do have online resources available such as Google and Wikipedia, but i do think it would be nice to have a more specific Q&A resource.

This also relates to the world in that our technology is being used day in and day out and with all of the resources out there I think many students would benefit from such a thing as this.

No comments: